Is it just me, or is this year flying?? School holidays are upon us again and I don't know about you, but the bickering in my house started about 3 days in.
I remember when I was a kid, my mum used to complain "I'm going to change my name!!"
I didn't really get it then, but I certainly do now. The plaintive call of "MUU-UUUM" is familiar to all of us. Is it even possible for a kid to say "Mum" in a normal tone of voice?
The older my kids get, the more I start to sound like my own mother.
Here there is a constant chorus of "MUMMY! He's not sharing!" "Mummy! She pushed me!" "That's MY toy!" "I had it first!" etc etc that really begins to grate on the nerves after a while. And I really cant complain, as I only have 2 :) All you mums with lots more kids, how do you do it??!
Anyway, I'm no expert but here's my favourite ways to stay sane this school holidays, with a 5 and 3 year old:
1. Keeping them busy. Be it playdates, visits to the grandparents, or taking the scooters to the park, keeping busy means less time to bicker. Also tires them out. Win.
2. Send them outside. My two have been loving the spring weather and spending time in their sandpit. Sure, they come back inside looking like filthy street urchins, but hey, whatever works.
3. Make up a big picnic to enjoy. We set ours up on a blanket outside. I chop up lots of little finger food - carrot sticks, cheese, nuts, little sandwiches, a special drink, and a couple of biscuits to finish - my two love it and it keeps them entertained for ages. The dog quite likes this too and manages to score quite a few tasty morsels :)
4. Quiet movie time at home. Favourites here include Despicable Me, Turbo, Frozen and Tangled.
5. Get them to help! I actually had a surprisingly easy grocery trip last week with both kids helping me, grabbing stuff of the shelves and helping me choose. They also love helping me cook, chopping up soft food for salads etc and helping me do the washing.
Do you have any great tips to share? Especially as the kids get older? I'd love to hear them!
As a balm to soothe my frazzled nerves, I had this little sweethearts session to edit this week. Miss Ellaria just loved having a WHOLE cake to herself and dived right on in! Her lovely mum brought some gorgeous little props for our set, I especially loved the dreamcatcher, isn't it fab?
Oh that face!! "Is this REALLY all for me, mummy??"
Ohh yes, this is great fun!
The cake carnage!
This was so much fun! Thank you miss Ellaria for enjoying your cake smash session with me! I loved it!
Hilary Hudson Photography. Natural Light Newborn and Families Photographer based in Tamborine, QLD. Australia.